Exploratory Research Grant
- Definitions and Acronyms
- Eligibility Criteria
- Grant Benefits
- Application Documentation
- Review and Evaluation
- Implementation, Compliance, and Reporting
- Compliance and Performance Indicators
- Document Amendment Information
The purpose of these guidelines is to support the administration of the Exploratory Research Grant.
- These guidelines apply to support faculty members and researchers in research by exploring novel research ideas.
- These guidelines apply to all KFUPM faculty and researchers.
3. DEFINITIONS AND ACRONYMS
|A research management platform developed at KFUPM.|
|Principal Investigator||The primary individual responsible for the preparation, conduct, and administration of a research grant and project agreement.|
|Project||A product of an approved research proposal that is scientifically reviewed by a competent body and has an allocated fund administered by DROC. It generally seeks to systematically investigate a problem through scientific methodologies conforming to academic best practices to achieve the defined research objectives.|
|Proposal||A detailed and structured request for funding prepared in accordance with the sponsor’s instructions and requirements.|
|Research Project Outcomes||Project outcomes are only those which are direct outcomes of the project after its inception and that reflect clear acknowledgement of the project and its number. Only those publications that are real outcomes of the project and acknowledge the project number should be included as part of the final report.|
|DROC||Deanship of Research Oversight and Coordination|
|IRC||Interdisciplinary Research Center|
|KFUPM||King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals|
|URC||University Research Committee|
- The Exploratory Research Grant aims to support faculty members and researchers to explore novel research ideas in the areas of interest to KFUPM and the Kingdom and aligned with the domestic and/or global grand challenges.
- The following research areas have been identified as focus areas of the existing research interest at KFUPM:
- Energy of the Future
- Water Systems Evolution
- Industry 4.0/5.0
- Advanced Materials
- AI and Data Economy
- Environment and Circular Economy
- Infrastructure/Cities of the Future
- Future of IoT and Connectivity
- Future of Mobility
- Future of Defense
- Future of Business and Financial Systems
- Basic Science
5. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
5.1 Applicant Eligibility
- All professorial rank faculty members (Assistant, Associate, and full Professors) who finished Early career grant successfully are eligible to apply for the Grant.
- All Senior Research Scientists and Research Scientists (I, II, II) with approval from their center director.
6. GRANT BEFEFITS
7. APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION
7.1 Proposal Template
- Application may be submitted by the PI throughout the year.
- PI shall submit the Research Proposal in the format prescribed in the DROC website (Click Here)
- The Research Proposal needs to be submitted online through ABHATHI using the link (Click Here)
7.2 Budget Preparation
- Applications must include a detailed budget (Read More)
- When the proposal is accepted, the approved project budget will be conveyed before the official start of the project along with the project approval memo.
8. REVIEW AND EVALUATION
- Proposals will be evaluated by the University Research Committee (URC) based on the received input from the international experts in the field.
- Proposals will then be screened and evaluated by DROC.
- The criteria include the following:
- project justification;
- Novelty of the proposed work
- relevance to KFUPM research strategic areas;
- clarity and achievability of proposed objectives;
- significance of the project’s expected outcomes.
- The URC shall discuss the proposals received and their evaluations, and either:
- recommend for immediate approval; or
- not recommend approval.
- Applicants will be advised and informed accordingly.
- Proper acknowledgment of KFUPM affiliation and internally-funded research grant support (along with the project number) in all publications and other outcomes is mandatory.
- Publications or other outcomes with no acknowledgement of the project number will not be considered as an outcome of the project.
- Multiple acknowledgements in project outcomes should be treated according to the Multiple Project Acknowledgement Guidelines (Click Here).
10. IMPLEMENTATION, COMPLIANCE, AND REPORTING
10.1 Implementation and Compliance
- DROC shall implement these guidelines.
- The DROC shall monitor projects supported by Exploratory Research Grants.
- Non-compliance with any provision in these guidelines shall be reported to DROC.
- The PI shall submit a progress report semi-annually (every 6 months) on or before the due date as per the agreement in the prescribed Progress Report Template available on the DROC website.
- The PI shall submit a final report on the findings to DROC within one month of the completion date of the project. There are two types of final report format that should be used:
- Type-A Report: In the event the project team has submitted/accepted/published Journal Paper(s) a brief final report in the DROC format should be submitted along with all copies of the publication(s).
- Type-B Report: In the event the project team does not have published/submitted Journal paper(s), a detailed report needs to be submitted.
- The PI could apply for extension of the submission date before 2 months of the original submission period.
- Submission of the final report after the one-month period without getting approval from DROC could affect future funding requests submitted by the PI.
11. COMPLIANCE AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
In monitoring and reviewing the implementation of these guidelines, the following compliance and performance indicators shall be used:
- Number of grants awarded each year;
- Submission of funded project progress and final reports;
- Number of successfully completed projects each year;
- Number of conferences attended by recipients.
- Research outcomes and impacts
12. DOCUMENT AMENDMENT INFORMATION
|Version #||Amendment date||Amendment description|
|1||Month, date, year|