Early Career Research Grant
Last Update on: 01 August 2023
- Definitions and Acronyms
- Eligibility Criteria
- Grant Benefits
- Application Documentation
- Review and Evaluation
- Implementation, Compliance, and Reporting
- Compliance and Performance Indicators
- Document Amendment Information
The purpose of these guidelines is to support the administration of the Early Career Research Grant.Jump to Top
- These guidelines apply to meet the needs of faculty who have recently received their Ph.D., or those who are away from research for various reasons.
- These guidelines apply to all KFUPM faculty and researchers.
3. DEFINITIONS AND ACRONYMS
|A research management platform developed at KFUPM.|
|Principal Investigator||The primary individual responsible for the preparation, conduct, and administration of a research grant and project agreement.|
|Project||A product of an approved research proposal that is scientifically reviewed by a competent body and has an allocated fund administered by DROC. It generally seeks to systematically investigate a problem through scientific methodologies conforming to academic best practices to achieve the defined research objectives.|
|Proposal||A detailed and structured request for funding prepared in accordance with the sponsor’s instructions and requirements.|
|Co-I||Co-investigator (the mentor for this grant)|
|DROC||Deanship of Research Oversight and Coordination|
|IRC||Interdisciplinary Research Center|
|KFUPM||King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals|
|URC||University Research Committee|
The Early Career Research Grant aims:
- To assist the career development for new faculty joining KFUPM after recently receiving PhD, introduce them to the research culture and opportunities at KFUPM, and familiarize them with the relevant research procedures.
- To help faculty members who have been relatively uninvolved in their research to reinvigorate their research activities, improve their own research profiles, and contribute to KFUPM’s overall research outcomes.
5. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- All professorial rank faculty members (Assistant, Associate, and full Professors) who:
- Joined KFUPM within the last two years;
- Have received their Ph.D. degrees within the last two years
- Have been away from research, which is defined as faculty who either:
- Have not been involved in an internally-funded research grant (either as PI or Co-I) within the past three years; or
- Have not published at least one journal paper within the last three years.
- The PI shall nominate a senior faculty member who will act as a mentor for the proposed project. The nominated mentor must be a professorial rank faculty member, and agree to guide the new/junior faculty member through all project phases starting from writing/reviewing a proposal until acceptance of project final report.
- The proposed mentor cannot be involved in more than two projects supported under the Early Career Research Grant.
6. GRANT BENEFITSJump to Top
7. APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION
7.1 Proposal Template
- Application may be submitted by the PI throughout the year.
- Application must be submitted electronically through ABHATHI using the appropriate Proposal Template.
7.2 Budget Preparation
- Applications must include a detailed budget (Read More).
- When the proposal is accepted, the approved project budget will be conveyed before the official start of the project along with the project approval memo.
8. REVIEW AND EVALUATION
- Proposals will be evaluated by selected internal reviewers, and if necessary, international experts in the field.
- Proposals will then be screened and evaluated by DROC.
- The criteria include the following:
- project justification;
- relevance to KFUPM research strategic areas;
- clarity and achievability of proposed objectives;
- significance of the project’s expected outcomes.
- The URC shall discuss the proposals received and their evaluations, and either:
- recommend for immediate approval; or
- not recommend approval.
- Applicants will be advised and informed accordingly.
Proper acknowledgment as per the stipulated KFUPM acknowledgment rules and regulations as given at the link here, any deviation from which will render the respective publication-outcome as NOT acceptable.
10. IMPLEMENTATION, COMPLIANCE, AND REPORTING
- DROC shall implement these guidelines.
- The DROC shall monitor projects supported by Early Career Research Grants.
- Non-compliance with any provision in these guidelines shall be reported to DROC.
11. COMPLIANCE AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
In monitoring and reviewing the implementation of these guidelines, the following compliance and performance indicators shall be used:
- Number of grants awarded each year;
- Submission of funded project progress and final reports;
- Number of successfully completed projects each year;
- Number of conferences attended by recipients.
12. DOCUMENT AMENDMENT INFORMATION
|Version #||Amendment Date||Amendment Description|
|1||Month, date, year|