Last Update on: 01 August 2023
- Definitions and Acronyms
- Annual Allocation
- Eligibility Criteria
- Grant Benefits and Payment
- Application Process
- Review and Evaluation
- Trip Report and Request for Payment
- Implementation, Compliance, and Reporting
- Compliance and Performance Indicators
- Document Amendment Information
The purpose of these guidelines is to support the administration of the Conference Attendance Program at KFUPM.
- These guidelines, apply to all norms issued to support conference attendance.
- These guidelines apply to all KFUPM full-time faculty and researchers.
3. DEFINITIONS AND ACRONYMS
|Declared annually by the Office of the Registrar, starts with the first day of classes in the fall semester, and ends one day before the announced first week of classes of the next academic year.|
|Project||A product of an approved research proposal that is scientifically reviewed by an authorized body and has an allocated fund administered by Research Office. It generally seeks to systematically investigate a problem through scientific methodologies conforming to academic best practices to achieve the defined research objectives.|
|University internal fund|
A KFUPM fund allocated for conference attendance or for research project funded internally.
|CSO||Conference Support Office|
|DROC||Deanship of Research Oversight and Coordination|
|IRC||Interdisciplinary Research Center|
|ERP||Enterprise Resource Planning|
|KFUPM||King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals|
|KSA||Kingdom of Saudi Arabia|
- The Conference Attendance Program supports the attendance of eligible KFUPM professional-ranked faculty and equivalent researchers to international conferences.
- The program encourages faculty and researchers to interact and exchange ideas with internationally renowned scholars and researchers, promote KFUPM’s research, and support the cohort of innovative ideas.
5. ANNUAL ALLOCATION
5.1 Conference attendance supported by KFUPM funding through the University budget.
- A maximum of one conference attendance under the University Fund may be allocated in a fiscal year to all professorial ranked faculty and equivalent researchers based on a paper presentation, or on a keynote/invited speech or based on 3 ISI/Scopus Journal papers published in the last 2 years prior to the conference dates and not having utilized for any conference attendance before. The applicant must be a full-time faculty, or researcher at KFUPM.
- Chairmen and Deans are allocated one conference per academic year if the conference is categorized/graded as A* and above in the list of flagship conferences approved by the University.
- Attendance(s) based on published ISI journal papers in a conference, are applicable only to conferences which are categorized as A* and above.
- Postdocs are eligible for one conference per academic year based on a paper presentation only (this is a competitive award administered by Deanship of Research).
- Faculty members who are eligible for the “emerging faculty program” can attend one conference categorized as A* or A once. Decision is based on competition and applications are solicited once a year and results are announced by Deanship of Research.
5.2 Conference attendance supported by KFUPM research grant funding.
- One more conference attendance may be allocated in an academic year to full-time professorial-ranked faculty at KFUPM affiliated with an (Interdisciplinary Research Center “IRC”), funded through the University Internally Funded Research Project or an Interdisciplinary Research Center (IRC) project based on:
- a paper presentation; or
- a keynote/invited speech; or
- 3 ISI/Scopus Journal papers published in the last 2 years prior to the conference dates and not having utilized for any conference attendance before;
- Start-up Research Grant Program for the Principal Investigator of the respective project;
- For the conference attendance through an Interdisciplinary Research Center (IRC) project the decision is purely subject to the recommendation of the Center Director based on the contribution of the affiliated faculty and the availability of funds.
- Conference attendance provisions are available to the applicant from a funded research project, no more than six months after the project completion date specified in the project proposal or agreed extended project timeframes (i.e., KFUPM funded research project) provided the project number is specifically acknowledged in the paper that is being presented;
- Conference attendance may be allocated under these grants:
- to those undertaking Sabbatical leave, where their Sabbatical Leave Project budget includes conference attendance, and their host institution provides a “No Objection” letter;
- to those attending the University Summer Scholarly Visiting Program, where attendance will not affect the minimum duration spent at the host institution, and the host institution provides a “No Objection” letter;
5.3 Conference attendance supported by external funding (i.e., externally funded research project).
- Subject to the terms and conditions (specified by external funding agencies) there may be one conference attendance grant available to the full-time faculty, or researcher at KFUPM in an academic year under externally funded projects (grants) based on a paper presentation or a keynote/invited speech or 3 ISI/Scopus Journal papers published in the last 2 years prior to the conference dates and not being utilized for any conference attendance before.
- The University might support more than one conference in addition to (5.3.1) based on the nature of the project, no objection letter from department chairman, justification from center director and availability of fund in the project.
6. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
6.1 Applicant Eligibility
- All professorial ranked faculty members and equivalent researchers at KFUPM are eligible to apply for conference attendance grants under the University Internal Fund.
- Subject to the terms and conditions specified by external funding agencies, all faculty members, researchers as principle investigators (PIs) or co-investigators (CoIs) are eligible to apply for conference attendance under externally funded projects (grants).
6.2 Conference Eligibility
- The program supports attendance at flagship conferences:
- ranked as A* or A provided by departments and approved by the DROC, and listed on the DROC website; and indexed or having a presence in Scopus and Web of Science.
- The program also supports attendance at non-flagship conferences:
- proposed by applicants through their respective department heads;
- evaluated, ranked and approved as class (B) by DROC
6.3 Conference Paper Eligibility
- Applicants seeking conference attendance support to attend may submit an application based on acceptance of a:
- full length paper; or
- extended abstract; or
- paper abstract.
- Applicants seeking conference attendance support from KFUPM to attend may also submit an application as an invited or keynote speaker.
- Applicants seeking conference attendance support from KFUPM to attend a regional conference (conferences listed in the regions O, A, B, C as given in the Appendix 2) may submit an application based on paper presentation along with a published Q1/Q2 ranked ISI journal paper published within two years of the conference dates. Such regional conferences should be ranked A* or A by DROC.
- Applicants seeking conference attendance support from a KFUPM funded research project may submit an application based on acceptance of a paper, extended abstract or abstract:
- related to the funded research project;
- that represents one of the outcomes of the funded research project.
- Principal Investigators holding a grant under the Start-up Research Grant Program may receive conference attendance support from within their funded research project to attend an international conference (once) ranked A* or A in their domain without an accepted paper, provided the necessary funding is available.
6.4 Conference Attendance Restricted Period
- The program does not support conference attendance during restricted periods (see Appendix 1).
- Where attendance is supported by external organization, the program supports conference attendance with the consent of KFUPM and that external organization.
7. GRANT BENEFITS AND PAYMENT
8. APPLICATION PROCESS
- Department Chairman is the sole responsible for approval of faculty conference attendance while assuring smooth operations of course covering, student engagement and other responsibilities associated with the Department.
- Center Director is the sole responsible for approval of researchers conference attendance as well as faculty evaluation and postdocs based on the Center Funding.
- All applications must be submitted in the ERP (E-Business) such that the applications reach the CSO, at least 30 days (approximately four weeks) prior to the conference dates.
- Applications must include:
- evidence of acceptance from the conference organisers (i.e., letter of acceptance, or letter of invitation);
- a copy of the paper or abstract or an extended abstract where the recipient has applied to present a paper;
- a copy of the invited/keynote speech (in PPT or PDF format), where the recipient has been invited to present.
- All applications must be submitted through the ERP to the respective Department or Center Head, for onforwarding to the CSO.
- The CSO shall verify aspects of the application, including:
- the applicant’s employment status and affiliation;
- the status of the conference (i.e., flagship or non-flagship conference);
- conference duration (excluding registration and other social functions);
- any related workshops and tutorials scheduled at the beginning or the end of the conference (up to a maximum of one extra day);
- the region and country, where conference attendance requires travel;
- possible funding sources (i.e., University Internal Fund, KFUPM funded research project, Interdisciplinary Research Center (IRC) project, Externally funded research project).
9. REVIEW AND EVALUATION
- The criteria for reviewing and evaluating proposals includes the following:
- Availability of funding for conference attendance:
- availability of KFUPM internally funded provision for conference attendance;
- availability of External funded research project provisions.
- Applicant eligibility:
- a full-time faculty affiliated to an academic department or an Interdisciplinary Research Centre (IRC) at KFUPM;
- Conference eligibility:
- flagship conference(s) from the approved list of DROC (Click Here);
- Conference paper eligibility:
- accepted paper, extended abstract or abstract;
- invited or keynote speaker invitation;
- mere attendance without a paper (Start-up Research Grant Program);
- 3 ISI/Scopus Journal papers published in the last 2 years prior to the conference dates;
- Conference timing:
- not in restricted period;
- Availability of funding for conference attendance:
- DROC shall discuss the proposals received and either:
- recommend for immediate approval; or
- not recommend for approval.
- The CSO shall advise the applicants of DROC’s decision.
10. TRIP REPORT AND REQUEST FOR PAYMENT
- With the completion of the conference, the recipient should submit to the CSO:
- a trip report in the ERP (E-Business);
- soft or hard copy of the conference proceedings (as provided by the conference organisers);
- submission of the required receipts, invoices, proofs of payment pertaining to;
- conference registration fee and the proof of payment (bank statement);
- round trip ticket booking and the relevant tickets;
- the hotel room booking and the relevant receipt\invoice paid;
- visa fee receipt (including the insurance) and the proof of payment (in case of transaction through Bank);
- single exit re-entry visa fee payment proof (for the international applicants);
- The Finance Department shall make payment to the recipient.
11. AFFILIATIONS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Proper acknowledgment of KFUPM affiliation and conference attendance support (along with the project number, where relevant) in abstracts, publications and other outcomes is mandatory.
- Multiple affiliations in conference or journal paper(s) are strictly prohibited and allowed with the prior consent of the Dean, DROC.
- Multiple acknowledgements in project outcomes should be treated according to the Multiple Project Acknowledgement Guidelines.
12. IMPLEMENTATION, COMPLIANCE, AND REPORTING
- DROC shall implement these guidelines.
- Non-compliance with any provision in these guidelines shall be reported to DROC.
13. COMPLIANCE AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
In monitoring and reviewing the implementation of these guidelines, the following compliance and performance indicators shall be used:
- Number of conference applications received, approved and rejected each year;
- Number of faculty members, researchers applying for, and receiving support for conference attendance;
- Level of funding support for conference attendance each year.
14. DOCUMENT AMENDEMTN INFORMATION
|Version #||Amendment Date||Amendment Description|
|1||Month, date, year|
- Appendix 1 - Conference Attendance Restricted Periods
- Appendix 2 - Countries Under Different Regions and Locations
- Appendix 3 - Extra Per Diem According to the Region
- Appendix 4 - Round Trip Tickets and Ticket Class